George & Rose Papanicolaou Scholarship Fund
This a gentle reminder that the George & Rose Papanicolaou Scholarship Fund is on hiatus for two years. We are not accepting scholarship applications for year 2023. Thank you for your consideration.
The Papanicolau Scholarship Board
|Advisory Committee:||Scholarship Committee Members:|
|Fr. Andrew Scordalakis, Spiritual Advisor||James D. Mellos, Jr.|
|James Gilpin, President of Parish Council||Helen M. Mellos|
|J Demetrios Mellos III Esq.|
Since 1984 the St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church / George and Rose Papanicolaou Scholarship Fund has provided financial assistance to many of the deserving young people of the St. Spyridon Community. Once again the Board of Directors of the Papanicolaou Scholarship are happy to announce that the applications are available for this year.
The following information will be helpful if you plan to apply for the Papanicolaou Scholarship.
Eligibility Factors and Limitations
- Application is limited to students who are active in the sacramental life of the St. Spyridon Church: for instance, communion, youth choir, dance and choral school, altar boy, Sunday School, oratorical festival, GOYA.
- At least one parent must be a current steward of the Parish.
- Applicant must plan to continue his/her education at a four year institution of higher learning leading to a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Student must provide evidence of Matriculation at a four year college /university. This includes student I.D. and address of the Registrar of the University where the award payment will be mailed.
- Student must be a graduating senior in the current school year from a San Diego City/County High School AND must be immediately attending a University in the Fall of that same year. No Deferments! No Exceptions!
Basis of Selection
- Complete and forward application by the date set by the Scholarship Committee.
- Attach four (4) letters of recommendation:
- From high school teacher or administrator
- From Parish Priest
- Sunday School Teacher
- From any other source
- Weighted criteria
- Grades 40%
- Participation in the Sacramental Life of the Church 20%
- Depth and scope of interests 10%
- Ability to communicate ideas 10%
- Financial need 10%
- Leadership qualities and potential 10%
ALL applications SHALL be received by March 31st (Any application received after this date, even if postmarked before, will not be accepted. Applicants sole responsibility to get ALL application materials to the committee by this date. No Exceptions)
Click here for the student application.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS: PLEASE BE FULLY AWARE THAT IT IS THE APPLICANTS SOLE RESPONSIBILITY TO FOLLOW‐UP AND MAKE SURE THAT THE APPLICATION AND ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED BY THE SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE, AND THAT THEY SHALL ATTEND THE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION INTERVIEW MEETING AT WHATEVER DATE IT IS SCHEDULED FOR BY THE COMMITTEE. ANY FAILURE TO FULLY COMPLY WITH THESE REQUIREMENTS SHALL BE A BASIS FOR DENIAL. NO EXCEPTIONS AND NO DEFERMENTS.